Monday, October 8, 2012

I AM

by Pastor Stephen Brucker



Popeye said ‘I yam what I yam’
But what did he mean
I mean

Am I time plus matter plus chance
A primordial goo, a universal glue, in a heartless dance

Am I what I do or do not do?

A good boy who cleans his room
Walks in moral purity, disguising ethical hypocrisy, and fancying religious superiority

Am I the clothes I wear, the school I attend
My family heritage or the things I comprehend
All which could go up in a flame
Which begs the question, what would be left of my name

Am I lower-class or upper-class
My favorite sport or my empty flask

Am I a liar a cheat
A clown with big feet.

Am I the collision of decisions
The mixture of personal conditions

Or am I an American, a Democrat, a tree hugger or free thinker
A moralist, a capitalist, a materialist or an individualist

There are endless numbers of ‘I am’ succumbers
Whose identity adapts like freshman newcomers

But what if I am NOT what I think I am
Not as I can
And not where I stand?

What if personal discovery
Doesn’t come from searching me?

What if a Man on transfiguration
Transfers his rights, creating identity from on heights?
What if a Man on the tree
Proclaims that I am free
Setting His identity
On a wretched man like me?

Who am I?
I‘ll tell you who I am
I am who He says I am.

A sinner saved by grace
Ripped away from my idolatrous embrace

I am rinsed by blood
Saved from the flood
Royal by heavenly decree
Chosen by divine mystery
Pardoned as if I always obeyed
Cleared as if I’d always stayed
Dead, killed, delivered, set apart
Regenerate with a new heart
Given a completely new start

I’ve been transferred into a new family
Thanks to the Son who exemplified humility
Being set apart, commissioned with grave responsibility
Proclaiming the gospel to those in need of a new identity

Oh yes I’m still a creature
With all its feature
Vulnerable, dependent and depraved
Ignoring Him most days,
In which I terribly misbehave

But worried I am not
As God the Son on Calvary fought
To justify and adopt
With His own blood he has now bought
And this new vision I now have caught

Though the world may claim my identify
Suggesting their need to clarify me
God has set his affection eternally
Grafting me into the Son’s identity

Christ’s righteousness is transferred to me
When I believed His act on Calvary

I am no longer guilty of sin
Because the Father crushed His own kin

As time passes I understand more fully
That this story, has made me holy

If you’re confused let me simply proclaim
It’s not about you, me, or your self-proclaimed identity
It’s about a person, his work and his fame.

Let us rejoice, for Popeye was in grave error
Our burden is dead, in Christ there is no terror
Because Christ is perfectly our sin bearer
Holy Union, there’s nothing in life more rarer

So Let us swim, basking in God’s glory
Flailing around, as children in the ultimate love story
Breathing in and out his rejuvenating peace
Freedom at last, I am now what I will always be
United to He and blessed with heavenly identity

No comments: